Pink Ribbon Pakistan
A project of Women’s Empowerment Group is a non-funded, self-sustained campaign, mostly supported by contributions through public philanthropy and driven by a large number of volunteers all over the country.
After 14 years of struggle against Breast Cancer, we believe that a dedicated breast cancer hospital with state of the art medical equipment is the dire need of today. Approximately 9.8 million women are at a risk of breast cancer in Pakistan. For some women this hospital can mean the difference between life and death. If diagnosed at an early stage, a patient’s chances of surviving are higher than 90%. Millions are donated for cancer treatment every year with minimal impact. If we inject that same funding to early diagnostic facilities and catch the disease at an early stage, this will significantly reduce the funds required for treatment of each patient and thereby tremendously improving effectiveness of donations.
We strive to significantly reduce breast cancer mortality in the country by creating widespread awareness through community engagement on prevention, early detection and increased access to treatment.
We are setting up Pakistan’s first dedicated BREAST CANCER HOSPITAL which will include state of the art Diagnostic and Treatment Facilities, Training Institute, Counseling Services, Research center and Quality Assurance Certification.
2004 – 05
Breaking the taboo
• Launched Pakistan’s first national breast cancer awareness programme
• Initiated bold and open discussions on the sensitive topic of breast cancer and highlighted its importance
• Started establishing linkages with government institutions and corporate sector organizations for assistance and partnerships
• Received Front Line Golden World Award for 2005 by International Public Relations Association – IPRA for outstanding campaigning
2006 – 08
• Pakistan's Prime Minister's wife supported Pink Ribbon through becoming its Chairperson
• Engaged media to sensitize public at large through highlighting the topic at various platforms
• Ministry of Health was engaged to setup a cancer registry in Pakistan
• GoP announced a Rs 2.55 billion breast cancer screening program because of our campaign
• Included chapter on breast self-examination in the training manual of Lady Health Workers
2009 – 14
• Signed MoU with Pakistan Atomic Energy Commission
• Launched the first ever breast cancer mobile mammogram clinic to provide free mammograms to women in rural areas at their doorstep
• Launched free national screening program
• 500,000 Pink Ribbon commemorative stamps were issued by Pakistan Post
• Pink Ribbon acknowledged as best 3rd world campaigning organization at 3rd World Breast Cancer Conference Canada
• Initiated Pink Illumination (Wapda House, Minar-e-Pakistan & Mizar-e-Quaid)
• Initiated Youth Awareness Program with HEC to reach out to almost 80 Universities & Colleges
• Registered 8,000 volunteers
Pink Ribbon Hospital Project
• Increased outreach of youth awareness programme to almost 200 Universities & Colleges
• Announced setting up Pakistan’s 1st dedicated Breast Cancer Hospital
• Purchased land for hospital in near Kalma Chowk Lahore
• PINKtober Campaign with 2 mega illuminations; Parliament House and Faysal Mosque, Islamabad
• Started construction of Hospital and basement is already completed
• Phase-I of 10,000 sq.ft. grey structure to be constructed till April 2018